Whether you’re an artist or a manager it’s vital to be aware of your rights and obligations when you decide to enter a Management Agreement. While it may be a sticky subject, discussing the nature of your relationship will be important for sustaining it.
If you’re thinking about entering a Management Agreement, asking the following questions will help you figure out what needs to be included in the contract.
If you need assistance putting together a Management Agreement, get in touch!
Standard Terms of a Music Management Agreement
A. Parties to the Contract
- What is the name, address and ABN of the Manager?
- What is the name, address and ABN of the Artist (or all members of the Band/Artist)?
- If the Manager is a company, is there a ‘Key Person’ who must provide the management services?
B. Term and Territory
- How long will the manager initially be appointed for?
- Will there be a ‘Probationary Period’?
- Will there be options to extend the ‘Term’ of the management agreement?
- If so, whose right will it be to extend the agreement (just the manager, or both parties)?
- What geographical locations (‘Territories’) will the manager be appointed to (e.g. ANZ or the world)?
- Does the manager have the right to appoint a co-manager or personal manager?
C. Activities and Services
- What Artist activities will the manager be managing? E.g. Music Industry vs Entertainment Industry vs Certain Excluded Activities.
- What specific services will the manager be providing?
- Will the services be personal day-to-day services or is the key person just overseeing the management?
- Will the services include book keeping and invoicing?
D. Manager’s Authority and Artist’s Approvals
- Does the manager need approval from the Artist for certain things?
- If so, which things (e.g. enter agreements, book gigs, pay invoices & collect income, arrange and use promo material, appoint lawyers or accountants) and how formal must the approval be (i.e. ‘in writing’ or by verbal consultation)?
- What can the artist do without reference to the manager (e.g. book their own gigs or appoint a booking agent)?
- If the Artist is solo and wishes to join a group or if the Artist is a group and someone leaves, then what happens?
E. Manager’s Commission
- What management commission percentage will the Manager be entitled to?
- What deduction will be allowed prior to the calculation of commission? Consider live performance/tour income, independent recording releases or independent merchandise.
- How and when will commission be paid?
- What ‘Post-Termination Commission’ will the manager be entitled to? (E.g. How long, what percentages, what income is covered?)
- What rights does each party have to terminate?
- What happens if the ‘Term’ ends?
- Will Post-Termination Commission still be payable if the manager has breached the agreement?